live in New York City, specifically on the east side of Manhattan. I don’t personally know anyone who voted for Donald J. Trump. It’s just the way it is, nothing I went out of my way to choose. I see them, though, on Facebook – friends of friends. I used to try and engage them in debate but it never got anywhere. Talking to these people is a futile exercise. They merely parrot talking points culled from the usual dubious outposts. I once found it frustrating, not being able to connect…reach some sort of understanding. I don’t anymore. Now, I just find them tiresome. The thing is, I was always terribly interested in how they could support a guy like Trump or why they had such an intense hatred of Obama and the Clintons. They never had a coherent response, other than…they’re all criminals, corrupt, murderers, and in Obama’s case, a Muslim who is in league with ISIS. You know, the typical Sean Hannity/Alex Jones/Rush Limbaugh rambling lunacy. One thing is for sure, their adoration of the man still remains as strong as ever – despite whatever fresh hell is revealed in the daily news.
I do still think about it though, how these folks can support a guy who is such – to use one of his favorite words – a disaster. Just exactly who are Trump supporters anyway? Well, from what I’ve been able to glean through my own personal interactions, I think I’m quite able to draw up a list of characteristics they all seem to share:
- They’re white…all of them.
- They’re not intellectually curious. This is not a harsh statement, it’s just what I’ve observed. Now, don’t get me wrong, I feel it’s possible to have other kinds of smarts and still not be intellectually curious. Smart in business, for instance, or even in the arts. I mean, as much as I hate James Woods’ politics, the guy’s a damned good actor. But it’s clear that Trumpists just seem elementally incapable of questioning his blatant obfuscation, prevarication and nefarious malfeasance. In light of the incontrovertible evidence of his Russian involvement, they merely brush it off as FAKE NEWS.
- They’re all pretty racist, misogynistic, xenophobic and homophobic. Again, I’m not trying to exaggerate here. It’s just the truth. I’m not saying they’re all members of hate groups or anything, but the way they went after Obama for years is damning evidence of how they feel about black people. Some of the hateful imagery they shared on Facebook, and that eternal birther business? Please. Plus the constant sexism towards Hillary, I mean, what else would you call it? Let’s not forget the homophobia. It’s been a wedge issue for years that’s cost Democrats many an election. Even Vice President Mike Pence is a believer in conversion therapy. And, the xenophobia is well documented. Trump’s promise of a wall to keep out the hordes of raping and pillaging Mexicans was a huge part of why he won. So, yeah…they’re all of that.
- They’re older. Sure, you’ve got some misguided kids thrown in the mix, but the really committed supporters are mostly over the age of 35-40.
- They’re rural. Not many big city dwellers in their ranks.
- They’re entitled. They believe they’re the rightful owners of America. For years, they’ve felt disenfranchised, that their beloved country was slipping away from their grasp. When Trump said, “Make America Great Again” it was well understood that he meant, “Make America WHITE again…CHRISTIAN again…OURS again.”
- They love their goddamned guns. I mean, do they ever. It’s just a non-negotiable with them. They won’t even talk about gun control or restrictions…in any form. They say they’re already in place. It doesn’t matter how many mass shootings there are, how many people die or are left maimed. Nothing can dissuade them from their right to bear arms.
- They have no foresight. Whether it’s about climate change, clean energy, human rights, or otherwise, they are always looking back when they should be looking to the future. Take coal jobs, for instance. Trump scored high points for his promise to bring them back. Rather than invest in new, cleaner energy which would result in millions of more jobs, they’d rather stick to their black lung…working for the company store. To them, there is no Plan B. They are hopelessly stuck in the past…to their own detriment – and the world’s.
- They are hypocrites and vote against their self-interest. The candidates they back are all in favor of small government and against universal health care or safety net programs like food stamps. Republicans don’t believe in providing anyone with a leg up. If you fall on hard times…screw you loser! Pull yourself up by your boot straps. Of course, the vast majority who benefit from these programs are the very same people who vote against them. That’s pretty wacky. So why do they do it? Well…because of everything I’ve written in this list. It’s just who they are.
- Finally…they’re afraid. For all their gun toting, big talking, bravado…they’re scared. They’re positively terrified of everything…terrorists, Mexicans, smart people, black people, gays, strong women, the Hollywood elite, the FAKE NEWS media…they’re petrified of their own goddamned shadow. That’s why they love a guy like Trump. Someone who says he’ll keep the baddies out of their country. Someone who bullies the defenseless and treats women like a Neanderthal. These are Trump’s supporters…this is who they are.
So, there you have it. It’s an honest list, not intended to provoke, merely a collection my own personal observations. Do you disagree? If so let me know. I’ll always listen to an opposing opinion…even if it is dead wrong.